
After a couple months of talking about taking the training wheels off of her bike we finally got around to it. She had been ready for quite a while. So after promising to put them back on if she could not do it or didn't like it we gave it a try.

I balanced her holding the back of the seat and before I could give her all of the fatherly instructions, she took off. As she made a bee line straight across the parking lot I gave chase. When I caught up with her I decided it was time to discuss how to stop. As I told her to stick her leg out to the side to catch herself when she hit the brakes, I ran past her as she skidded to a perfect stop. That taken care of all we have to work on is starting off. I got her started again and chased after her a little bit; I quickly decided to instruct her to turn every so often so she could circle me. It wasn't long before that got old and she told me to get my bike out of the truck, she was ready to hit the trail. She did great she had a few wrecks when she lost her balance while stopping but all were nearly at a full stop so no injuries just frustration. She rode just over a mile that day, she learned to navigate around people coming and going. As we were riding back to the truck she told me she wanted me to put the training wheels back on... I said, what are you talking about, isn't it much easier riding without them. She agreed, so we loaded up and left the training wheels off for good. Then we were off to get a well deserved treat for being so brave.
No comments:
Post a Comment